Makhana – The Super Food
Though being used in our country for centuries, Mahkana (Fox nuts) have shot into prominence in the recent years as a Super Food – A food beyond fasting.
Superfood makhana is rich in proteins and fibre and low in fat. 100 grams of makhana gives around 350 calories of energy.
Makhanas contain around 9.7 grams of proteins and 14.5 grams of fibre and are a very good source of calcium.
They also contain magnesium, potassium and phosphorus in a good amount.
Why this Superfood :
- Makhanas have really high protein content. This is why they make such an important part of fasting food because a handful can provide you with energy to last the entire day.
- Makhanas are great as an anti-ageing food as they have an abundance of anti-oxidants. A handful every day can keep you looking younger and making your skin glow. The anti-oxidants in Makahnas are said to play a role in reducing the risk of heart disease, cancer and chronic conditions like diabetes.
- Makhanas are a great snack food for diabetics and heart patients as they contain good fat and have a low quantity of saturated fats. These properties make makhanas good weight-loss food. They are said to be beneficial for control of lipid levels and improve symptoms of fatty liver disease.
- Fox nuts are high in fibre. The digestive process gets sorted with them as they prevent constipation and add bulk to the stool.
- Fox nuts are great detoxifying agents. They aid in flushing out toxins from the body. They are really beneficial to the spleen health and help the immune system.
- Fox nuts have a low glycemic index which means that they release glucose slowly in the blood. This keeps you feeling full for longer.
- Those suffering from wheat allergies can gorge on fox nuts as they are gluten-free but still high in protein and carbohydrate content.
- Fox nuts have a natural compound, kaempferol that reduces inflammation in the body. Inflammation is responsible for most modern diseases like diabetes, arthritis, rheumatism. Also, fox nuts have antibacterial properties.
- Apart from magnesium, potassium, and sodium, foxnuts also contain a high amount of calcium. This means they fall under the category of foods that are good for the bones as well as the teeth.
- Makhna is also high in thiamine content which means they help in aiding cognitive function as well.
- Fox nuts are naturally bestowed with astringent properties which means people with weak kidneys can easily snack on fox nuts. Fox nuts have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help to reduce inflammation and the effects of oxidative stress.